Helping you to identify and remedy food related symptoms.
Food intolerance refers to difficulty in digesting certain foods, and is also known as non-allergic food hypersensitivity or non-IgE mediated food hypersensitivity. Food intolerance is different to food allergy, as allergies trigger the immune system whilst intolerance does not. Find out more about our allergy testing here >> The most commonly associated food items that cause intolerance include dairy products, grains that contain gluten, beans and cabbage that cause intestinal gas build up.
Signs and Symptoms
A symptom is something the sufferer feels and describes, such as pain or discomfort, while a sign is something others can detect, such as a rash. Determining whether the sufferer has food intolerance or allergy requires a methodical approach, because often the signs and symptoms overlap.
The symptoms of food intolerance generally take longer to emerge compared to food allergies, and in some cases can take days.
The following are the most common symptoms of food intolerance:
- Migraines and Headaches
- Runny nose
- Feeling under the weather
- Stomach ache
- Irritable bowel
Identifying the foods which cause the sufferer to experience these symptoms requires a methodical and controlled approach, and some people are intolerant to several groups of foods though at Private Doctor Clinic, we have a proven approach to diagnosis and recovery.
What We Test
We test 46 different food allergens common in our diet:
- Cereals: Corn, Durum Wheat, Gluten, Oats, Rice, Rye, Wheat
- Nuts & Beans: Almond, Brazil Nut, Cashew, Cocoa Bean, Peanut, Legume Mix (pea, lentil, haricot), Soya Bean, Walnut
- Meats: Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Pork
- Fish: Freshwater Fish Mix (salmon, trout), Shellfish Mix (shrimp, prawn, crab, lobster, mussel), Tuna, White Fish Mix (haddock, cod, plaice)
- Vegetables: Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrot, Celery, Cucumber, Leek, Peppers (red, green, yellow), Potato
- Fruits: Apple, Blackcurrant, Grapefruit, Melon Mix (cantaloupe, water melon), Olive, Orange & Lemon, Strawberry, Tomato
- Other: Egg (whole), Cow’s Milk, Garlic, Ginger, Mushroom, Tea, Yeast
Your Appointment – What to Expect
The test including a consultation takes around 10 minutes. A clinician will take a few drops of blood from your finger tip similar to a diabetic test, but this is not the same as a blood test drawn where blood is drawn from the vein.
Your results will be available within the next working day, and we will provide you with follow up advice on “what to do next” as part of your regime to recovery.